Different shapes of pasta are used by chefs for various purposes because certain shapes hold different sauces better than others. Thin pasta works well with oil-based sauces, while thicker sauces work better with thicker, heavier pasta shapes. Flat pasta pairs well will cream sauces and tomato-based sauces seem to cling better to round pasta. What type of pasta you get will depend a lot on your sauce preference.
Popular Pasta Shapes at Li'l Rizzo's
1. Spaghetti - Possibly the most popular pasta shape in America, spaghetti is a long, thin pasta that everyone knows and loves. It is typically served with a tomato-based sauce and meatballs. We love to serve spaghetti this way, in our homemade, chunky meat sauce. Top it with a 6 ounce meatball sprinkled with parmesan cheese and parsley for some extra deliciousness!
2. Angel Hair - Similar to spaghetti, but even thinner is the angel hair pasta. You'll find this popular pasta shape in a variety of our signature dishes including our Shrimp Scampi and the Roasted Garlic Chicken Pasta. Both are great dishes served in a sauce made of chopped garlic sauteed in a delicate wine stock.
3. Lasagna - These noodles pretty much give away their purpose in their name. They are used to make the popular casserole pasta dish called... Lasagna! Our Lasagna is homemade with 6 layers of pasta, meat sauce, ricotta cheese and Italian sausage. It's then topped with a blend of mozzarella and provel cheese before it's baked.
4. Fettuccine - This long-cut pasta is flat and rectangular in shape. It's most commonly served with creamy sauces such as Alfredo sauce. Try this pasta shape in our classic Fettuccine Alfredo or add in some sauteed shrimp or roasted garlic chicken for some extra flavor!
6. Cannelloni - This pasta is characterized by a hollow tube or roll of pasta filled with various ingredients like meat and cheese. Our Cannelloni Con Bianco is two large pasta tubes stuffed with beef and pork, served in a creamy Bechamel mushroom sauce.
7. Tortellini - This is a ring-shaped pasta that is usually stuffed with something like cheese, meat, spinach or a mixture of the three. It's most commonly served in a broth or cream sauce. Our Tortellini Alfredo features pasta filled with beef and pork, and is served in our homemade Alfredo sauce with peas, bacon and mushrooms.
8. Linguini - This pasta is like a flattened spaghetti, but it's not as wide as fettuccine. It's offers a great shape to compliment a variety of different sauces. At Li'l Rizzo's, you'll find it served in our Cajun Shrimp Pasta, Sausage-N-Peppers Pasta, Linguini con Pesce and Linguini Marinara.
Lake of the Ozarks Italian restaurant, you can try them in our Cavatelli Con Broccoli, which features mushrooms and broccoli in our creamy homemade Alfredo sauce.
Come get your favorite type of pasta at our Lake of the Ozarks Italian restaurant, or try a new style! We even offer gluten free pasta for an additional charge. Pair your pasta with our World Famous house salad and delicious bread rolls for the perfect gourmet meal. Gourmet refers to our fresh ingredients, secret hand-crafted recipes and the love we put into every dish we make! We hope to see your for lunch or dinner at either of our locations soon!